sábado, 20 de julio de 2013

8 to 10 words



That's all the words I've ever heard from my 23 month old daughter. One of them is not mom, not even "ma". She calls me "pi" "pe" or "come". I've heard "grape" "yes" "no" and several other things that have to do with food mostly. Her favorite form of communication is screaming random vowels at the top of her lungs while she expects us to read her mind, I'm sad to inform you that it usually works for her.

I've been wondering for a while why no one at daycare have said anything about it. She is old enough to be at least refering to things by it's name, but that day has not come. They say she is doing great, no longer crying for every little stupid thing, going out to the playground with other kids, sharing toys and even making friends. She is loved and known by everyone at daycare. She even comes home with dolls and clothing that are gifts from her teachers. 

I always thought that she had managed to charm everyone with her peculiar dances and humming of every single song she listens to. But no..it is not her charm what have gotten her out of the "why is she not talking" problem, it was the fact the she actually SPEAKS when she is at school! How do I know this? Well, let me tell you the story of how we learn this tiny detail.

On Thursday my mother picked her up from daycare and my daughter's teacher asked her " How does she call you? Grandma, Grannie?" My mother looked at her and laughed saying "She doesn't call me anything. She doesn't speak" The teacher said "Emilia speaks a lot! She says everything from soup to doll!" 

Needless to say, my mother called me up and said to me this wonderful news. Papa said he felt betrayed and swore that he would get out of her at least one new word by the end of the evening. Once we picked her up from Grandma's Papa had no success at all. Emilia did not speak any other words besides the ones that have to do with food. 

We thought that maybe, just maybe, Grandma was over reacting and decided that we would ask at school next day while dropping her off. We did. We received wonderful news. She does speak. She even calls her friends by their names. I mean she is not giving out speeches in class or anything but she does communicate. Papa still feels betrayed.

Me? I do not feel betrayed, I know we enable her every need, besides, I'd gotten wonderful news by my doctor confirming that my pancreas is finally working the way it should have for a long time and I was no longer at risk of dying. So I thought, well I'm "Pi" or "Pe" but at least I'm something and maybe being healthy I will be able to get some more words out of her. 

Today we got to hear "quesadilla" that sounded something like "quilla" and she does count from 1 to 5 both in english and spanish. I'm ok with that, as long as one day I get to hear the word "Mom" I'm alright with that.

Although.... I've done my research online and I only seem to get mom's talking about their children speaking at home but not at school. Does anyone out there has a case similar to mine? Is my child the only one trying to drive her parents nuts by screaming random vowels while at school she's all Miss Talkative? Help?

Until Next Time

- Nighttime Momma.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario